I can't handle sarcasm said in a different language. It's mental
overload and it confuses me. If someone is consistently positive or
consistently negative, there's a pattern emerging that if they were
sometimes negative or positive about something, respectively, I would
understand that the signal as a connotation for note-taking. However, if
someone talks in both ways where positive statements are said,
overly-negative statements are said, and overly-sarcastic statements are
said, then it confuses the hell out of me because I'm playing catch up
the whole time. Not only am I supposed to translate the statement at
face value of how things are stated, I have to decipher if the statement
is genuinely positive, overly negative, or overly sarcastic. Overly
negative statements are discard and I have to move forward from them.
Overly sarcastic statements are identified where I have to take the
positive connotations of the hyperbole and twist it so that it's a
negative statement in order to receive the point.
The
amygdala gets really tired from deciphering all these signals and
instead of properly understanding the statements said by an individual, I
can't seem to file these statements fast enough. Instead, positive
statements that do not sting as much as negative statements gets
disregarded with the negative statements because I have grown a high
tolerance for negative statements. This high tolerance of
negative-statement abuse makes it so that positive statements don't seem
to register as much. If a person is naturally negative, negative
statements are the litmus test in order to interpret whether or not if
the next statement or the whole message is consistently negative,
positive, or falsely positive with sarcasm. A falsely positive sarcastic statement makes the equation even worse
because I have to understand that the person is trying to overstate with
hyperbole that something is wrong instead of something is right. Upon
translation, I have to take into connotation that the literal message
that I received is not true and the polar opposite meaning has to be
interpreted.
Positive people have the baseline for
positive messages and positive thinking. Negative people have the
baseline for negative messages and negative thinking. The equilibrium
for an overly-negative mind where some positive thoughts occur is mildly
negative, but I can't take every positive thought that comes out as
literal because of impending false-positive sarcastic doom. If
false-positive sarcasm is involved with negative people who once in a
while say genuinely positive things, positive statements that would
otherwise be interpreted as genuine would be cast aside as "pending to
be translated for negative connotation" because of possible
false-positive sarcasm.
As a result: openly
straightforward positive statements gets translated wrongly with a
negative connotation or message. Negative statements are still
translated as negative statements because of the benchmark for how
negative people think naturally. Falsely positive sarcastic messages
that are blatantly untrue are just a reinforcement that other positive
statements are also untrue and that the opposite has to be interpreted.
Therefore, when a negative person says a majority of negative things
with some genuinely positive messages as well as sarcastic things, his
natural equilibrium is still mildly negative. However, the interpreter
of his words gets mixed up and wrongly accuses him that all his
statements have negative connotation no matter if it's positive or
negative, sarcastic or genuine. In addition to messages that are lost in
translation, all of the interpreted words become nothing to be readily
relied upon because every statement becomes something to ignore and
trash once the amygdala is overloaded, even the genuine positive
messages.
Over time, there is an assumption made that for every large percentage
of negative statements, there is a small chance for genuinely positive
statements, and a sliver of false-positive sarcastic statements. This
assumption is wrong but the amygdala takes these shortcuts when
receiving a message from the same person over time. If an overall
message has percentages where the positive-negative-sarcasm ratio does
not fit the usual template, the mind tends to wander and perceive
genuine messages that are more negative than positive with a hint of
sarcasm. Therefore, it is unfortunate that I do this, but this is why
common messages get misinterpreted.
I don't care if a
person who does this is a good person or has good intentions. It is
supremely difficult to understand that person especially if I'm caught
off-guard having to translate his words. Every time that I am in this
position to interact with this person, it's like a poker game where all
three can be used to intimidate and confuse me -- and I end up folding. I
never liked playing this game of charades where simple events or ideas
are misused at the expense to say an over-the-top negative
interpretation, a rare genuinely positive interpretation, or a
false-positive sarcastic statement. Why can't simple ideas or events be
stated and interpreted literally at face-value without the strain to
energetically move someone with emotion? I can't stand the fact that
someone put all this work in to strongly move me with emotion in one way
or another, but usually negative, just for me to filter all the
negativity and emotion out. I just want factual statements without
over-the-top hyperbole, emotion, or examples so that I have that
capacity to think for myself based on these facts. Emotions reach me
before I can sometimes translate the words and I don't want to be swayed
in one way or another by emotion before deciphering a person's
thoughts; I want to make my own conclusions. I don't want to be told
what to do anymore; I don't want to be told what to think anymore. I
want to think for myself without outside influence and I want to do for
myself based on my own thoughts. I don't want decisions or actions
pre-made and destined for me to follow. I am fully capable for being on
my own where actions and thoughts are done by my own behalf.
No comments:
Post a Comment